Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ode to Parents

I was in line at Dunkin' Donuts the other day to get a coffee. They have this big flat screen TV that displays ads for local businesses. While I was in line I noticed one advertising a life coach. At first I started thinking how ridiculous that was. And then I started reading all of the services they provide and the advice they give and I thought... Well, that's what my parents do for me for free! It got me thinking that maybe a life coach isn't such a bad thing for people who are not as fortunate as me. I can say with all certainty that we would not be on the mostly solid ground that we are on now if it were not for my parents. They have provided us with invaluable resources, time, advice, and sometimes even money to "set us up for success". I don't know what would have happened to us if we didn't have my dad's help with our Short Sale. And I know we wouldn't have had the Short Sale happen if it weren't for the entire kitchen being redone and wood floors that were put in. And who do you think helped us there? Their main concern is for us to be able to help our kids out the way that they have been able to help us out. And even as I write that I get all sentimental and warm and fuzzy inside. Because any doubt that I have of what kind of parent I might be vanishes once I realize that all I have to do is follow my parents example and everything will be just fine. And of course I can't finish out this post without giving a HUGE shout out to my "other parent" and Chris' actual parent :). Nancy has been extremely helpful in our attempt to getting back on our feet. We have been staying with her for about 2-3 months now and plan on staying there for a few more months. The time spent here is so important because instead of getting into debt playing catch up, we are able to put away some money and get back to some normalcy. So thank you parents. I salute you. You done good and hopefully we will too.

No comments: